In typical Tamara fashion as of late, it has been a while since I have had the time, energy or mental capacity to string some words together and post them on the internet! Yesterday was my birthday (5th October for anyone else born on that date…you are awesome) and I have finally got a chance to give myself a break from my currently hectic life. I decided to celebrate by writing something for the very few people who like todrop in and read my random thoughts. Today’s post I decided would be 23 things that I have learned in the 23 years I have been on this hunk of rock to celebrate another lap around the burning ball of gas that lights up our lives. So, buckle up for some random,slightly interesting and semi-educational things that I have learned.
- Appreciate your parents. The older I get the more I realise how hard it is to make it look like you have your shit together and the more I realise my parents held it together so that my siblings and I had a decent upbringing.
- Age is just a number. So many people let their age limit them. The amount of times I hear “you are just a baby” as people realise how old I am and the job I do. Your age should not stop you striving for the things you want.
- If you have a partner, kiss them goodbye and hello every day. It is something so small that is the best way to start and end your working day.
- Make yourself a priority. You need to take time out to just hang out by yourself.
- Speaking of hanging out by yourself, go to dinner, lunch or the movies by yourself. Do stuff that you would typically do with others on your own. It sounds like something really boring or lame to do but it takes a lot of self-confidence to go out on your own to a restaurant and it is so nice to be able to sit someone nice on your own and be content.
- Stop the negative self-talk. There are plenty of people in the world that will say mean things about you. Don’t let yourself be one of them.
- Stop thinking about all the things you should be doing. Like should I be saving for a house, should I be travelling the world, should I be in a better a job. If you want to save for a house then do that, if you don’t want to then don’t. You do you!
- Have a small group of genuine friends. You should be able to count all your friends on one or two hands.
- Be friends with people who are genuine and like you for you and all your quirks. They are the ones that will keep you sane when shit gets real.
- Just be you. Stop trying to be “cool” or “smart” or caring what anyone else thinks about you. Dance at that party even if no one else is, sing that song off tune and just do you.
- Treat yourself. If you are working full time then make sure you do things for yourself as a reward. I have recently starting getting consistentmanicures because I look at my hands all day when I work so I should at least make them pretty.
- Life is too short to have boring nails! If you are going to get a manicure go for that colour you love but are slightly scared you won’t be able to pull off.
- Learn how to manage your money. You work hard for it so manage it well.
- Find someone who makes you laugh. Laughter can help with most disagreements and arguments.
- There will always be people in the world that don’t like you for whatever reason. Screw them! Spend time worrying about the people that like you instead.
- Don’t spend too much time on your phone or taking pictures of things you are doing. Just live in the moment.
- Travel with your best friend. Its so much fun and something everyone should do.
- Travel full stop. Even on your own. Just get out of the regular routine you have gotten yourself into and experience other cultures.
- Live life outside of the comfort zone! You are too young to be in a boring robotic routine! Do things that you second guess, challenge yourself and have a blast while you are doing it.
- If you hate your job, QUIT!! You spend 40 hours a week at work. That is longer than you spend doing the things you love or being around the people you love. If you hate it then quit and find something you actually like doing for 40 hours a week.
- Do some form of exercise every day that relaxes your mind. Go for a walk, go for a swim, a run, do anything that is going to stop your brain ticking.
- When you are annoyed with your partner, take the time to remember the things you love about them. You love them for a reason and the littleannoyances are usually just a symptom of your own frustrations.
- Stop thinking that you have to have your shit together. Everyone else is just winging it too. No one really knows how to be an adult. There is no rule book or set way you need to travel through life so the chances are you are doing just fine.
I hope this post was fun, inspiring or a good reminder for you to just live your life. If that is one thing I can say to sum up today’s post its just be yourself and live your life because people that matter don’t mind and people that mind don’t matter.
Have a great weekend
– Tamara xxx